Sunday, December 15, 2013

Holiday Dressing: Outfit #2

This outfit was for a much more informal gathering than my previous outfit for a holiday gathering, and I do apologize in advance for the lack of great photos. I took them all after we got home, and it was late, and I was tired, and I'm afraid it shows a bit.


But I get to share with you a new circle skirt! You knew I couldn't go much longer without using my current favorite skirt pattern, didn't you. I did change it up a little this time, though by lining it for a warmer skirt to wear this winter, and I made it in a solid navy, so it's more versatile in my wardrobe. Now I just want to make a vintagey blouse to match.


I lined the skirt with an old light blue sheet someone had given me, and it not only makes it surprisingly warmer, but also I think makes it a little more stable and able to hold it's shape better.

Please excuse my stocking feet, lol.
Lining it also made the hem a little thicker, which inadvertently makes the hemline have a little more body to it as well. It's almost as if I had lined it with horsehair braid. I used the underlining technique where you cut out a lining piece for each of the pieces and simply sew them all together as if the two pieces each were one. It's super easy to sew a lining in like this.


I also did a little more professional-looking closure on this one, and did a hand picked zipper.


I wore it with a vintage celluloid red bow brooch. Isn't it perfect for Christmas festive dressing?


I also wore an red bangle bracelet with roses on it. I've had this for a long time, and I still love this bracelet. I like to find excuses to wear it more.

I also wore my favorite red shoes from Bakers, but again was so tired by the time we took pictures, that I didn't get a picture with them on. I paired them with some vintage seamed stockings in the color petal, which by the way, is like the exactly perfect shade for my skin, so if any of you find some for sale somewhere in a size 9, please let me know, as I would love to have more.


And some cute vintage bakelite red screwback earrings to tie it together. I had a little girl tell me I looked like I had cherries on my ears, lol.

It's not an especially fancy outfit or even spectacularly vintage, but it was fully appropriate for the event I wore it to, and I think that's important. Believe me, I'm often probably viewed as a little overdressed for the ocassion, just because most people don't get out of sweats, pajamas, or jeans on a daily basis. I do think though that it's important to not make the people around you overly uncomfortable by what you're wearing. Our grandmothers understood that you should think about where you are going, what you will be doing there, and who else will be there, and how will others be most likely dressed in order to choose what to wear. I wish I could wear a full length ballgown some days, but it wouldn't be practical and I'm pretty sure would make my pediatrician uncomfortable or my in-laws a little embarrassed at dinner, no matter how good it looks on me or how much I want to wear it. All this to remind myself that every outfit doesn't have to look like a vintage magazine spread. Part of looking your best is being appropriate and not making others too uncomfortable.

How do you determine what's appropriate to wear?

No comments:

Post a Comment