Friday, December 13, 2013

Bluebirds and Berets Outfit

Winter blues? Me too! But becoming a blue vintage sweater girl helps fight those blues.

I wore one of my favorite colors on me today. My eyes are blue and I look best in bright colors, so this royal blue knit sweater with a little light blue bird on the chest has been a favorite of mine for a long, long, time.

I paired it with one of the new skirts I sewed (oh, oh, I've got a navy blue circle skirt fully lined in the works, too!), and my teal blue velveteen beret (I love the smocking on this beret!)

This was also what I wore the day I dry-curled a pin curl set and took pictures for a post coming out tomorrow, so stay tuned.

I also wore my gold digger earrings and a butterscotch and a green bakelite bangles, along with brown tights, and little gold ballet flats.


It has been cold, wet, and windy here of late, which means NO playing outside for the kids, and a general cabin fever setting in with us all. One thing that does seem to help on days like this is to get a little dolled up, even if it is just for regular errands. Playing and singing music always helps, too, and sometimes just a phone call or two to friends that we don't see all the time. Even just going for a drive or to a store to look around helps us not feel so trapped.

I don't know that I've ever really had the winter blues, especially the last couple years. Winter always seems a rush of holidays, family gatherings, baking, snuggling in front of the fire in the stove, and wishing I could sleep a little longer under the warm comforter. I do understand how someone could have winter blues, but always seem too busy to have the time to even think about having them.

But one of the best things for me to get me out of a funk is to start sewing, even if it's a simple and practical project that's not too excited. And praise God, I've been able to do quite a bit of sewing lately. I hope to do more as I have some projects to still show you, and more I hope to finish this winter.

Outfit Details:
Sweater- Old Navy ages ago
Skirt- made by me
Hat-smocked vintage beret from eBay
Earrings- vintage from Etsy seller
Tights-I think actually from Amazon
Shoes- gold tone ballet flats by Steve Madden

Do you get the winter blues? What helps you get through those cold and/or wet days?

2 comments:

  1. You're an absolute vision of cold weather loveliness! Berets are one of those hat styles that I like, and even own a couple of, but for absolutely no good reason almost never wear. You've inspired me to dust mine off and give them a whirl this winter, dear gal!

    Big hugs & joyful weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you! I really need more berets, one in every color, lol. I can't wait to see how you style your berets.

    ReplyDelete