Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Workbasket Wednesday

 About a year ago I found a stack of Workbasket magazines from the 1940s and 1950s in a local antique store for really cheap. So, obviously I bought them, but not just because they were old and needed someone to love them. Yes, that's been an actual reason I've bought things in antique or thrift stores in the past. However, my maternal grandmother loved to crochet and knit and subscribed to Workbasket magazine as long as I knew her, and as long as my mother can remember. Unfortunately all her old magazines were thrown away after she died when I was fourteen. *sigh* So you see buying these was a way to repossess something I knew she had once had.

If you're unfamiliar with Workbasket, it's a magazine filled with patterns for all kinds of handcrafts, but mainly focuses on crocheting and knitting. So, because the pages are so old that I don't want to handle them too much, and because vintage patterns are too awesome to keep to myself. I will be scanning them and sharing them on Wednesdays here.

Please feel free to share and copy and pin the pattern below, but please reference my blog when you do. It's just nice, and maybe others would like to get subsequent patterns. Thanks.

Now, enjoy!

Today's pattern is from the August 1951 edition of Workbasket, and is for a "Classic Suit Sweater" knitted blouse! I don't knit, yet, but if you make it, would you let me know, send pictures, and I will try to post them here.

And just because I can't get enough of the advertisements in these, here is an amazing bargain from the "Queen of Cottons". Wish I could write in for mine. *sigh*


No comments:

Post a Comment