Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Merry Go Brown Outfit



 I was having a hard day today. Nothing bad, mind you, just the usual things not going my way, so I'm feeling a lot of self pity. So, I decided to change clothes midway through the day and wear something that made me feel better. Hey, it's hard to be sad or mad in a circle skirt. I think a twirly circle skirt could take the place of chocolate on those days. Okay, let's not be too hasty, chocolate has it's place firmly established.

This is the same skirt I made and wore in this outfit post, however, I styled it a little less vintage this time, and without a hat. I didn't really have a hat that matched the brown today, and honestly we were in such a hurry to get to a ballet class that it's a miracle I was able to pull off what I did wear. Plus I'm still a little wary of wearing hats. I guess I'm just hat shy, but I did wear a hat the other night to a dinner with friends, and I survived. 

I also tried a new hairdo! I did a big roll in the front and gathered the rest in a pony tail. I've been trying to get the hang of rolls for a while now, and although I'm far from perfecting them, so far I've learned a couple of things. 1. It doesn't take a million bobby pins. 2. It works a lot better when my hair isn't clean. (Not nasty dirty, just a day or two out from washing it.)
View the roll! Please keep in mind this was late in the day, and everything was a lot smoother earlier, lol.




I also did a makeup trick I learned from my Grandma. She was born in 1925 and got married in 1940, just a couple months shy of her fifteenth birthday. (Needless to say, she and Grandpa eloped, but were married for almost 70 years until their deaths in 2009 four months apart.) She always had pressed powder and a lipstick in her purse, and whenever she had to go somewhere unexpected or had time before unexpected guests arrived, she would quickly put powder and lipstick on. 

Although I didn't wear powder, I do usually wear a tinted moisturizer and lipstick when we go out, even to the grocery store. Suddenly you don't look like a stay at home mom who hasn't had a shower today. You look like you care just a little about how you look out of respect for ourselves, those with us, and those who will see us. I think Grandma and her generation knew a lot more what they were doing than many today, especially when it came to how we present ourselves. 


Shirt: Old Navy about 5 years ago
Skirt: Made by me :)
Matching earrings and brooch: Etsy seller
Belt: Not sure where I bought it, but it was more than 10 years ago

So, have any tips or tricks to quickly look put together? Do you dress up to improve your mood? 

6 comments:

  1. Very true, I've thought about that point many times over the years as well. The knowledge and wisdom of how to dress with style, class and elegance that was once passed down without fail from one generation of the next just isn't held in the same regard (by most folks) any more. It's a shame indeed, but I do like to think that us vintage loving (and wearing) ladies are helping keep those important fashion traditions alive in our own way these days.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, and I hope my kids grow up with a different attitude about appearance than most of their peers. I've come to the realization that it's not just showing that I take no pride in myself when I dress sloppily in public, but that how I present myself also reflects on my respect, or lack thereof, for my husband, my kids, and my parents. Because when people see me they will make a judgement about my family. But you won't see me scrubbing toilets in the same clothes I wear even to the grocery store. My parents and grandparents taught me that much.
    I believe that everyone can look pretty with a little thought and planning, and who wouldn't rather look at pretty over sloppy. Isn't it nice to think that you can spread prettiness wherever you go? I like to think that's something that dressing vintage does, makes the world a little prettier, one outfit at a time. I'm sure that's the effect you have, as you always look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand you about lipstick in the bag, I always carry one in my purse. You look great in that skirt and your hair today, so elegant. Happy week, dear Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thank you so much! It's amazing what a little color can do, isn't it? I'm still struggling with rolls, but I'm slowly getting better at it, lol. I hope you have a wonderful week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute outfit! And love the hair! It's great to see other young women embracing modesty without the "frumpy" connotations. You look hip, feminine and modest all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Amy! In the past I've looked at dressing as a uniform, but sewing my own clothes really has allowed me to express myself and my style without giving up any convictions or who I am, and yes, still be dressed modestly. But I do have my "frumpy" moments, too, lol. Still working on that :)

    ReplyDelete