Saturday, September 14, 2013

Outfit Post: Birthday Party at a Park

Once again, I have fuzzy pictures that I took myself in my kitchen after everyone else went to bed. So sorry about that, but that's seriously the only time I can do it (husband's working a lot of overtime and odd shifts).
Tired, but trying to smile. Behind me are the curtains I made for the French doors in our kitchen,
and the make shift paper towel holder, otherwise known as a chair, ha, ha.
This week has been interesting to say the least. The baby's had a stomach virus, I've got a cold, and the 5 and 2 year olds now have the sniffles and had a sleepover with Mamaw and Papaw. So, with all this going on, we also had been invited to a birthday party of one of Shelby's friends and our neighbors. (It's actually kind of neat how my neighbor and I have been pregnant together each time delivering within a month or less of each other, even before we knew one another! She tells me to let her know right away if I get pregnant, lol.)

 So, to take a trip to Walmart (Ugh!) and to go to a birthday party at the park while I'm still getting over a cold, you would think I would be in sweats or something. But I've found that if I put on something a little nicer looking, but just as comfortable, I feel a whole lot better without much effort. I didn't look as great as I could have, but didn't look like I'd been fighting the tissues and couch for the last few days.
The best picture I could get of my brooch. Can you tell me if it's a strawberry or grapes?
The only vintage item I'm wearing is the brooch. Which is either a strawberry or grapes with fake pearls. I purchased it at a local antique mall years ago, and it's one of my favorites. The only other jewelry I'm wearing is my wedding rings (which aren't in the picture below; kneading bread dough is best done sans rings), but that was for practicality, because the park we were going to is very woodsy, and I didn't want to lose anything. Plus, it was all I could do to pull myself this together while sick.
I absolutely love the little elephants! Now I need an elephant brooch to go with them.....hmm. 
The skirt is a circle skirt I bought at a Charlotte Russe about ten years ago, and I've always loved it. It's white and has little black dot flowers printed on it with a border of, I assume Indian men, and elephants. It's actually easy to match it with solid color tops.

The shirt is a deep purple Old Navy t-shirt I bought at least five years ago. It's actually held up pretty well. I have the same shirt in coral, turquoise, and grey as well. The only thing I don't like about these t-shirts is how much they stretch out (as you can kind of see from the pictures). They end up looking a little sloppy after only a few hours of wearing them.

Another tired looking shot, but you can also see some of our homeschooling stuff and artwork on the wall, lol. 
I only wore a little tinted moisturizer with lip balm and my hair was three days out from a pin curl set, which after playing at the park a couple of hours looked kind of blah. But, I think it was fine for where I was going and for chasing a 2 year old away from the giant river on one side of the playground, the woods on another, and the creek you had to cross to get to the playground. Seriously, who thought putting a playground without a fence there was a good idea?

Sorry I didn't get a shot of my shoes, but they are some of my favorites, so I'll try to get them another time. They are a kind of Mary Jane style ballet flat in black with a frog embroidered on one foot and a gold crown on the other foot. I call them my Frog Prince shoes. They are super comfy, I can run in them for short distances chasing people, and they look a little nicer than tennis shoes in my opinion. They were made by Camper, and I've had them for about 13 years. Yup, I hold onto shoes I like until they literally fall apart. When they finally give out, I don't know what I'll do, but I may have to have a service for them.

I only regret one thing, not wearing a sweater or jacket! I didn't even bring any for the kids and the party was at five o'clock in the afternoon. Usually this time of year it's still pretty warm, but fall decided to show up a little this afternoon, and we froze. I know, I know, temperatures in the low 70s are warm for a lot of places, but here in the shade the low 70s felt like the low 50s. But I'm glad, because I LOVE  fall!

What are your tips for looking put together when you're a hurry or don't feel well?

No comments:

Post a Comment