Thursday, November 13, 2014

Stripes Ahoy!


This was an outfit that I wore about a month ago, but I wanted to share it because not everyone lives somewhere that requires continuous covering of your arms and legs. Here in Tennessee the weather is as unpredictable as imaginable throughout the year. We've literally had Christmas day with tons of snow and below zero temperatures some years and sunny and 70 degrees other years. This means that I may be wearing a short-sleeved dressed with bare legs in the fall or winter. As I type this it's really cold outside and tomorrow is supposed to be the coldest day we've had this fall/winter so far. So, I honestly feel a little weird looking at these pictures. But I digress.


My absolute favorite color is yellow, and although I don't wear a lot of just plain yellow because I don't think many shades of yellow look so good on me, I love pairing it with my outfits for a pop of color or contrast. Blue is probably my second favorite color, so this was a winning combination in my book.

Love my yellow guitar brooch!
This dress is extremely versatile as well. The coloring and medium weight of the fabric make it able to be worn in spring and summer as is, but also to be worn with a cardigan or sweater/jumper and tights or stockings. It's great for the post partum nursing mom, too, with the buttons on top and elastic waistband.  


But this is what I think is the best part of this dress: it's a vintage 1980s dress! So, it was under $10 in cost! If you don't know by now, I'm notorious for not wanting to spend much on my wardrobe (I would rather spend more on fabric and vintage sewing patterns, ironically), so this dress that cheap makes me really happy. 

Outfit Details:
Dress-1980s Vintage eBay find
Bracelets-Vintage lucite from various sources
Belt-from vintage 1950s yellow swiss dotted dress I own
Brooch-vintage plastic guitar brooch from eBay
How do you stretch your wardrobe to transition through the seasons? Would you buy a 1980s dress and actually wear it?

S.D.G.

4 comments:

  1. Your brooch is adorable! It makes me think of the Grand Ole Opry. What a fun, charming warm weather dress. I really like those wavy bracelets and how well they compliment a classic striped frock like this.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, one of my favorite sources of vintage inspiration is actually pictures of female performers on the Grand Ole Opry from the 1950s and 1960s. When I was a kid, my dad had a coffee table book with tons of photos from the Opry up the 1980s. I used to love to stare at the pictures of glamorous country divas and their amazing outfits. Lots of big skirts and big hair and I still love it, lol!
      Sarah

      Delete